Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Unexpected

The Unexpected. Though the unexpected is not always enjoyable, there are times when it makes life more exciting to live out. I've experienced both in a few different circumstances, of which I want to share a couple.

For Christmas we traveled to Dogon Country with around 30 other Peace Corps volunteers. Side note - Dogon people live in a series of villages along the Badiagara escarpment in three zones: the plateau, the cliff, and the lower plains. They arrived on the scene in the 14th or 15th century, after fleeing their lands along the Niger, refusing to convert to Islam. They displace the Tellem people, whose cave-like homes are still intact high on the cliffs above the Dogon villages. The lower plains are shared with the Fulani people.

We arrived December 24th, Christmas Eve, and spent that day and Christmas in a town called Sanga. This is where we were to venture out the next day on a three day, two night hiking trip. I was completely pumped and excited for the trip. Well.... I must of ate or drank something that didn't agree with my body. The first day into our hike I didn't feel too good. I made it about two hours in until I started to repeatedly and violently puke up everything in my system. But I wanted to push through and continue the hike in the blistering sun. Bad Decision. A half hour passed and I was back at it, vomitting. This time blood had mixed in with the flow of fluids out of my mouth. After hiking about another half an hour out, feeling completely horrible, I was evacuated back to Sanga on a motorbike where I spent the next couple days recovering and missing the hike. Disappointing.

After this missed opportunity we decided that a Niger River trip was key to redeeming the situation. Ashley, Joe, their two freinds (Jennifer and Joelle), and I went out to the river to see what we could find. There were two options: spend around $150- $200 on our private boat or spend $30 dollars on public transportation. Duh. We picked public transportation - to travel among the people. We spent three nights and four days on the river packed alongside other Malians; sleeping on tin riveted floors; freezing at night; eating - oranges, hard boiled eggs, peanuts, bread, and the food sold at the side of the boat during port visits; establishing friendships with the captain, his children and the crew; and enjoying the journey. The trip consisted of never knowing what was next, where we were going, or what we were going to do once we got there. God protected and provided and blessed us with an awesome expierence.

My last week is bitter sweet. I'm excited for my 5 day stay in Paris, to get back to Tempe and implement the things I have learned in my daily life and within YoungLife, and be with friends. But I am definitely sad to leave this experience and two incredible people, Ashley and Joe, who are challenging themselves in every aspect of their lives. They are inspirational - truly living out what they want out of life.

Joe's line that has stuck with me throughout the trip, "There are two kinds of people. Those that dream and remain dreaming or those that dream and then plan how to reach those dreams"

(I'm going to add pictures soon, the internet is being weird here and won't let me right now. So check back later)




Joe, Ashley and I on the side of the ship at Port


The Morning when we had the whole boat to ourselves (long story ask me about it in person)

When we arrived in Tonka - things got a little hectic

3 comments:

  1. I kept wishing you were gonna say that you passed out on the hike. I know that sounds mean, but then I would have chuckled because it would have reminded me about when you saved my life.

    I'm not trying to claim that the sickness was anywhere near the same...don't you worry.

    P.S. I think half the things you'll learn from this experience you won't realize till your back here and in normal day to day living. I don't really know why I think that, just a hunch.

    See you soon! (Hopefully in a circle with Dom across from us and hookah in the middle)

    ReplyDelete
  2. give yourself a little credit buba, I believe you are pretty incredible yourself. i don't see where your holding back in life either. And always Trusting God to pull you through wherever life takes you...Wait till you look back on the last 6 weeks, you'll be amazed!
    LY2TM&BX613

    ReplyDelete
  3. "There are two kinds of people. Those that dream and remain dreaming or those that dream and then plan how to reach those dreams"

    I LOVE this.
    Mostly because I know my fear prohibits me from fully doing/being who God intended me to be. Due to one significant event or the accumulation of multiple, differing from who you talk to. Somewhere along the way I transitioned from fearing God to the fear of people. I'm not sure when this began for me, I can think of little stories if I really sit back and try to contemplate it, but I tend to mostly just not think about it. Ignore the issue as if it doesn't exist when its so apparent in my everyday life. However, I am SURE of one thing, this behavior IS learned. I significantly remember being a child and feeling and truly believing I could do absolutely ANYTHING. How I wish I could get that mind set back. How great would it be if I lived a life without fear binding me. How much greater would it be if when I got to heaven God said "You lived your life to the fullest extent I intended you to."

    ReplyDelete