Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Ciao!

It’s been a while since the last time I blogged. Well January to be exact. I had just arrived home from my adventures in Mali and was debriefing through the thoughts that had consumed my mind after such a perspective changing experience. Don’t know why I’m explaining this sense it is only a 6 inch downward scroll on this page. (check it out if your curious).

What brings me back from retirement? God has been so good to me. Humbly good to me. I’ve been blessed with another opportunity to see the world. A lot of the world. For the next 9 weeks I will be combining a few mini-adventures into one big adventure.

Beginning June 16th, I will be living and working alongside 30 other individuals on an American military base. Young Life brings their summer camp experience, which takes place throughout the summers in America, to the American children abroad on military bases. The goal is to allow these middle school and high school students to experience and know Jesus Christ.

The camp ends on July 5th, which is when I begin the second leg of my trip. I will be traveling for 2 weeks throughout Northern Italy , visiting: Florence, Rome, Cinque Terre, and Venice with Becky (my girlfriend), Lindsey, and Jaymi Harper. Three girls, one me :/

Then back to Africa I go. Rwanda! I get to visit the country that was my home two years ago during my internship with Food for the Hungry. Oh, and did I mention my girlfriend will be with me here too. Life will be good.

On July 22nd  we will arrive in Kigali, Rwanda. From there Becky and I will stay one night with my roommate from college and his wife, Paul and Linda Bork (they’re working with “World Teach” for a year).

On July 23rd we will take a 9 hour bus ride north to Kampala, Uganda. Here we will meet up with a old intern friend of mine. She currently works with an organization that loves on street children in the slums. We will stay with her for 5 days, experience her work and Kampala, and then head back to Rwanda.

Becky and I, along with Rick Prigge (on ASU Young Life Staff) will help lead a group of ASU students on a “Life challenging, crazy, awesome, rock your world trip” for two weeks, August 8th – August 17th. The End.

Becky, Lindsey, and I are currently on a shuttle, passing through London, on our way to another flight connection that will take us to Pisa, Italy (Near the military base). Like I said, I’ve been truly blessed to be able to say yes to an opportunity such as this.  I’m excited and am excited for you to follow me through my travels. Stay Tuned….

(Forward): I wrote that about a week ago. Since then we have arrived safely to Camp Darby, the military base in Livorno, Italy. Internet access has been limited, which has kept me from updating my blog earlier. Sorry. My time this far has been non-stop work. The first three days at the base we worked throughout the day to prep and create a Young Life environment on a very secular military base. Since then, Myself and 30 others have been serving 400 high school students. It's been a wild ride but I'm enjoying every minute of it. The people i'm working alongside are great. Even though we are working anywhere from 8 - 16 hours a day, everyone's attitude reflects the joy we have in HIM, Christ. We remain in the mindset that all of this is to His glory! I'll try to update regularly. Love you and Miss you all!

3 comments:

  1. FIANALLY, we were all anxiously awaiting news of your safe arrival. Now that you've finally notified us, i can offically take you off my WORRY LIST and put you on my prayer list. It's great to know all is well :-) ! LY mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. why does your mom post as Anonymous and then put her name at the bottom? Doobers! Hope your trip is going well. I can't wait to hear more. - Joe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Aaron!

    Glad to hear your trip is off to a good start! What's it like being on a military base? Have you had a chance to check out Pisa? Anyways, looking forward to your next post. Peace!

    -Jim

    ReplyDelete